About our team
The Oil & Gas Innovation Centre was set up in 2014 to support the industry agenda to increase production and reduce costs in the UKCS by enabling the delivery of innovative technical solutions, using the skills and expertise of Scottish Higher Education Institutes, innovators and SMEs. The OGIC Management Team is located in Aberdeen, at the heart of the oil and gas industry. This post is based at Heriot-Watt’s Edinburgh Campus, where the administrative process supports the project in Aberdeen. The post sits in the Legal Team of Research & Enterprise Services.
The Research & Enterprise Services (RES) directorate provides a range of services to encourage research collaboration and knowledge exchange with industry. RES is seeking to appoint a Contracts Advisor to prepare, negotiate and conclude commercial contracts and project agreements on behalf of OGIC, and to carry out due diligence, and provide general IP advice to OGIC and its partners. Additionally, the role will support the University’s research intensification strategy with contractual advice for both research and knowledge exchange. The role will also extend to providing coaching and training on contractual and IP matters to staff and students.
Key duties and responsibilities
- To provide commercially focused advice to the OGIC Governing Board, Project Review Panel, Project Managers and Management Team.
- To draft, negotiate and advise on OGIC Project Agreements.
- To draft, negotiate and advise on research and related contracts, confidentiality agreements, studentships, collaboration agreements, etc.
- To provide commercially focused advice on industrial sponsorship deals and contracts.
- To draft and review software licences, patent and know-how licences and associated documentation.
- To provide general contractual advice to other support directorates within the University.
- To assist the Legal Services Manager on a variety of contractual matters as required.
Education, qualifications and experience
- A first degree in law or business subjects, or equivalent professional experience.
- Commercial contracts experience.
- An understanding of Intellectual Property and an ability to apply that understanding in a practical manner.
- Knowledge of the HE sector and/or contractual matters.
How to apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 24 May 2018.
The post is available until 31 May 2019.
Consideration will be given to applications on a part-time and/or job-share basis.